I don't blame you all for not reading this. I never write anything and when I do, it's just ramblings.
But I feel inclined to start again. Who knows if that'll stick or if I'll even have time to write as I desire to.
I'll start by posting this article I wrote for the Broad Street Journal. Here goes:
A Plea From My Inner Tree-Hugging Hippie
Living in Philadelphia can do some crazy things to you. After you get over the initial excitement of being in a new, bustling city, there’s a tendency to get overwhelmed. The first time you decide to take on the city alone, get off at the wrong subway stop and have a mini-panic-attack. Or perhaps you decided to go for a walk to clear your mind and be alone - but wait, there is nowhere to be alone! Some of these aspects of city life can be overwhelming.
I frequently find myself missing the low-key lifestyle of home (and Grantham). I despair over the lack of (clean) leaf piles to jump in. I long for open grassy meadows to run barefoot in until it gets dark and our friendly firefly friends come out to play. I suppose watching Lord of the Rings to admire the Shire in all its grandeur doesn’t help. But I digress. I have no nature trails to walk, no stars to gaze at after dark, and no forest critters to delight in. Granted, there are squirrels here, but they appear to have lost their minds. My point is: there are precious parts of the rural lifestyle that you just don’t get in Philly.
Don’t get me wrong, Philadelphia is incredible and exciting to live in. But I can’t deny that my heart longs for nature, and when the day comes that I can be home again, my inner tree-hugging hippie will emerge content and grateful. In the mean time, there are sights to see and experiences to soak up. I have only a short month left in this concrete jungle and I, for one, won’t waste it wishing I was somewhere else. On that note, I end this rant with a tiny love letter to nature: I miss you.Youda youda best. Don’t forget me while I’m away. We’ll be together again soon.
With all the love in my city-dwelling heart,
Chrissy Gelok
No comments:
Post a Comment